Thursday, May 14, 2009

The meaning of phrases

Today, as I was zoning out (as usual), I started thinking about what people actually mean when they say something.


FOR EXAMPLE:

"Good for you"
I know some people may mean well when they say this, but I think this saying is sarcastic and sadistic. Like if someone said, "I got a straight perm for my hair and I really like it", and then someone else said, "good for you". It really means "I don't care, or I don't give a ...." Or like if someone is talking about how they are eating healthy and someone said "good for you".. I think they are just saying that cause they don't wanna be completely rude but I know they could care less.

"I don't care"
Some people really could care less, but when most people say it, it means that they REALLY DO care and that they are upset or bothered and they want to hide it so they try to act tough. Like if my parents are criticizing me and I say, "I don't care". Sometimes I don't care cause it's about something stupid, but a lot of the time, I really do care and what they are saying is really wearing me down, but my pride doesn't let me break down. I just act tough and deal with it when I am away from my parents.

"I'm fine", "I'm ok" ,or "I'm good"
Like I have said before.. some people actually mean it, but most people are actually trying to mask hurt or pain. "I'm fine", "I'm ok", or "I'm good" really means, "I'm not ok, but leave me alone because I don't want to talk about it or I don't want your help". Usually people just wanna go cry in a corner when they say this.

"Give me space"
Now, this means what it says, 99% of the time. It means, leave me alone, I don't wanna talk to you right now, go away for a while. Usually a while is longer than 5 days (*hint hint*). The only time this doesn't mean what it says is when those complicated girls say it but they really are playing hard to get. I am NOT one of those girls (*hint hint*).

"I hate you"
Well.. this one is complicated. Generally "I hate you" doesn't actually mean "I hate you". Most people don't have the guts to go up to someone they truly hate and say it to them. Usually, people say it when they are upset at someone and being a bit dramatic. Some girls say it when a guy has been a jerk to her. Most of the time they are upset at the guy, but they are too infatuated with him to actually be mad at him. If he apologized (like she wanted him to do because she planned this all so that he would feel bad), then she would go back to drooling over him in 1 second.

This is why people should watch what they say, or analyze what people say to them. People usually use their words to imply something, or dance around something so that they don't have to flat out say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment